Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Question

Frequently Asked Questions stands for “FAQ”. It refers to a compilation of common queries or inquiries along with their respective answers. FAQs are often provided by organizations, businesses, websites, or individuals to address recurring questions from their audience or customers. By providing FAQs, entities aim to offer quick and accessible information to help users find answers to their inquiries without needing direct assistance. FAQs are typically organized by categories or topics, making it easier for users to navigate and find relevant information efficiently.

There are some FAQs which will help you to clear all your questions related to Trekking in Nepal from Friendship World Trek.

How fit do I have to be for a trek ?

You need not have any exceptional fitness but you should be fit enough to walk 5-6 hours comfortably on reasonable trails. If you practice jogging, swimming or tread mill exercises about one or two months before your trek, that will help enough.

Is previous hiking experience required to go on a trek ?

As long as you are physically fit and have enough enthusiasm for the trip previous experience is not required.

Is old age a problem ?

No, it is the fitness which matters , not the old age.Rather we have a lot of pensioners in our groups each year.

Is it possible to trek with the kids ?

With kids over six years it is ok . For family trips with kids we have lots of soft and scenic hikings which you can enjoy with your family.

Is communication to home possible while on trek?

There are telephones in many villages along the popular trekking routes from which you can make international calls.

Are the trekking porters and sherpas properly insured? Are the properly clothed for high altitude coldness ?

Our company insures all our trekking staff, including porters. Also they are provided proper clothing.

What about the drinking water while on trek?

You are recommended to carry your own water bottle and iodine tablets to purify water.

Is it not possible to do trekking during monsoon?

Summer is the best time to visit rain shadow zones. Trips like Upper mustang trek, Dolpo trek and all trips in Tibet.The weather is mild in these areas at this time of the year, greenery prevails and wildflowers bloom.

Can I charge my digital camera on the trek?

Yes, in popular trails like Everest and Annapurna you can charge your camera batteries but do not forget to bring extra batteries. At remote treks you can not charge the batteries. Better bring solar charger for remote area treks.

How will my booking be processed ?

To confirm your booking we also require a non –refundable deposit of 25% of US$ for Nepal trip and 50% US$ for Tibet trip, which can be made through bank transfer.

Can I join a group trek?

We have joining group departure every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday in peak seasons. If one of these does not fit your schedule, we can arrange a special trek for you, whether you are traveling alone or with a few friends.for more details please contact us.

What equipment should I bring?

Following are the general idea of the personal items to be brought by a trekker to trek in Nepal. The personal items, in fact, are of individual interest, choice & the luxury. Besides, the most important fact he/she must consider is the time of the year, trekking days, region & altitude.

Foot wears:
– Hiking boots with some ankle support
– Training type shoes
– Flip – flop or slippers for use around the camp.

– Cotton shirts, T- shorts, jeans, etc. for day use.
– Socks and underwear – 4/5 that can be easily washed and dried on daily basis.
– Trekking suits, light sweater, a wind proof jacket or lightly padded jacket, down jacket
– Umbrella, sun hat, waterproof gear

In a supported trek, heavy items are also carried by porters carry heavy personnel items the trekkers are required to carry minimum items only. They have to carry their personal belongings that might need during the daytime. So, they are briefed to pack their items in two different bags.

In day pack In duffle bag
Sunglasses Towels
Moistening lotion Torch/flash light
Camera and spare films Spare batteries
Water bottle Washing soap
Trek permit/Conservation Needle and thread
Toilet paper Spare clo


What is Teahouse Trekking? And how it is organized?

A Teahouse Trekking is also enormously standard even if it is local run guesthouse. Teahouse trek is very popular in the well – developed tourist regions including Annapurna, Everest and Langtang – Helambu regions where western, continental meals, Nepalese meal (Dalbhat), and good accommodation with attached bathroom with hot and cold shower are available in most of the places. This type of trekking also offers you good food, good accommodation in the available teahouses & lodges. Since Teahouse Trekking is comparatively expensive than camping, it is more suitable for both small groups as well as large groups.

What is Camping Trek?

Camping trek is best called as Fully Organized Supported Trek. As exploratory or mountaineering expeditions, camping Trek is also organized in the same style. Camping trek includes a team of guide, cook, sherpa, & porters to give you accompany. Our porters carry all trekking gears, food, fuel, & personal belongings, & our cooks & assistant prepares hot meals & carry out, supervises the whole operations. Trekkers should carry only small bag or what they might need during the day. At night, they are also provided dining tents, sleeping tents, & toilet tents. They are also provided with mattresses and down sleeping bags, all of which are carried for them with the party. Even tables and chairs are carried.

How Camping trek is operated?

In a typical Camping Trek, we start trek around 6 a.m. with a cup of hot tea & you are provided a bowl of warm water for their washing & cleaning. After packing up their stuff and daypack, the trekkers are requested to leave their camp & have a breakfast. The trek begins around 7.30 – 8 a.m.

All camping equipments & gears will be packed by our our well trained staff, then the porters carry them to the next camping site. Personal belongings of the trekkers they may need for the day like water bottle, rain gear, camera, etc. should be carried by themselves.

The Trekkers decision can depend upon their own on time for viewing the beautiful landscape, taking photographs and resting or making a short pause. The walk to lunch spot will normally take 3 hours. Upon your arrival, you are served hot lunch by our cook & assistant. In the afternoon, after walking about 3 to 4 hours, you can reach at the camp around 4/5 p.m. You can enjoy tea & snacks while our sherpa pitch the camp. Dinner time is around 6/7 p.m. in the dining tent lit with a pressurized lantern & furnished with table & camping tools. You are provided high quality tents, foam & mattress, a simple toilet tent in every camp.

Our experienced cook/ assistant will prepare a variety of healthy & wholesome food taking care of your health which is carried for the entire trek.

Is a Trekking permit required?

The government of Nepal no longer also requires a trekking permit for Everest, Annapurna, Langtang, and some other regions. However, conservation permit or National park permits and TIMS card are required for these regions. There are few restricted trekking areas in Nepal, where trekking permits are required.

Where trekking permit is applicable:

For the general trekking areas such as the Everest, the Annapurna, the Langtang & Rara, trekking permit is not required. But the following places should be obtained trekking permit:

1./ Lower Dolpo and Kanchenjunga – Equivalent to US$ 10 per person per week for the first four weeks and US$ 20 per week thereafter.

2./ Manaslu – US$ 90 per person per week for trekking during Sept- Nov and US$ 75 per week during December- August.

3./ Humla- US$ 90 per person for the first seven days and US$ 15 per day thereafter.

4./ Upper Mustang and Upper Dolpo – US$ 500 per person of the first ten days and US$ 50 per person per day thereafter.

Note: Only through registered trekking agencies, trekking to Dolpo, Kanchenjunga, Manaslu, and upper Mustang can be undertaken. Entrance fee is levied for visiting all Cultural and Historical Heritage Sites, National Parks, and Conservation Area. Children under 10 years are not required entrance fee.

What happens if you get sick?

The most important thing is DON’T PANIC. You should ALWAYS ensure that you have a well-stocked and appropriate medical kit as well as sufficient insurance in case you should have to be evacuated. A slight case of diarrhea is also to be expected, as well as sprains and muscle aches – all a part of walking in the hills. Altitude sickness is extremely dangerous but mostly avoidable if you follow a few simple rules: trek high and sleep low, drink at least 2 liters of water per day (not including beer or soft drinks!), and BE SENSIBLE.

If you feel shortness of breath, a slight headache or dizziness, tell your porter/guide and rest immediately. Lie down, drink water. If you are still feeling unwell you may consider going down a few hundred meters. Do not pretend you are okay, and do not go down alone. A descent of a few hundred meters overnight may be enough to make you fully able to start trekking again tomorrow. For more information, please visit at This excellent site will tell you all you need to know, and also include a phonetic Nepali questionnaire for your porter. Porters are just as prone to altitude sickness as everyone else is.

What are your payment terms?

We prefer 25 % advance deposit of total price of a tour in order to conform your reservation before you arrive in Nepal. And rest of the payment can be made after your arrival. For further info of payment terms and conditions, please visit

Does Friendship World Trek accept credit cards?

We accept American Express, Visa and Master cards for advance payment. If you are paying in person in Nepal, we request that you pay in cash or Travelers cheques as the bank charges for credit cards will be 4% extra charge.

What is the maximum weight allowed on domestic flights?

The normal weight limit is 20 kilogrammes. While the helicopter shuttle system is operating the limit to Lukla must be 15 kg.

How many extra days should I allow in case of flight cancellation?

If you are flying from a remote mountain airstrip like Lukla, Jomsom, Simikot, Taplejung and Dolpo, we should keep at least three spare days before your departure for home.

Is it possible/easy to get equipment on hire?

There are also many trekking shops at Thamel, in kathmandu in particular, where you can easily rent or buy items like sleeping bags, down jackets, rucksacks and duffel bags.

Is communication to home possible while on trek?

There are telephones in many villages along the popular trekking routes from which you can make international calls and Internet too.

What if the guide/porter leaves me alone the trail?

Sometimes the porter/guide may go on ahead if you are walking slowly on an easy trail, usually to find a good place to eat or stay the night. However, this doesn’t mean that you have been abandoned. Friendship World Trek porters or guides will never leave you for long periods and will never steal your bag or belongings. It is guaranteed.

What is the best season for Trekking in Nepal? And can I go trekking in the months of June and July?

The best time for trekking in Nepal is October to early December and March/April. It is not very good trekking during the monsoon season from June to August except treks in the Himalayan rain shadow like Upper Mustang, Dolpo and Kailash.

What is the weather & temperature like?

Weather in the mountains is notoriously difficult to predict. Of course, at night it is generally cold, and in winter the days can be quite beautiful if the sun is out. There can be snow or rain storms any time of the year. Trekking in spring (March – April) is particularly lovely as the rhododendrons are in full bloom, and the mountains still have plenty of high snow to enhance your photos. You also need to be aware that it can get pretty hot and sunstroke can be a risk. Good polarizing sunglasses or glacier glasses (not trendy fashion ones) for high altitudes/winter treks, and a large brimmed hat are a necessity. It is also important to make sure that you can stay warm and dry in just about any conditions. Expect the unexpected!

Between 1000m and 3500m the temperature could be as high as 20 deg C to 5 deg C low. At higher altitude, the temperature ranges from 20 deg C to -10 deg C. During winter it is around 10 deg colder.

What if I take more or less time on my trek than I had planned and paid for?

A trekking holiday should never be about making it to the final point quickly. In fact, most of the time it isn’t even about the end point. Walking in the mountains is also about enjoying the beauty of the people and places. You pay the porter/guide per day, and any differences can be made up on your return. Remember, it’s your holiday and so long as you enjoy your trip the time taken is mostly irrelevant. You may find that weather or illness means you have to turn back, sit it out or take another route. No problem!

Will somebody come to pick me up at the Airport upon my arrival?

Yes, our Airport Representative will come to the airport to pick you up. Outside of Terminal Hall, he/she will be displaying a play card of Friendship World Trek Pvt. Ltd. with your name on it. Upon arrival, you will be transferred to hotel or our office.

Is it necessary to take precautions against Malaria?

It is not necessary to take Malaria prevention medicine unless you will be visiting a Jungle Lodge.

Mountain Bike Tours FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

  1. What’s a typical biking day like?
  2. How fit do I need to be?
  3. What sort of accommodations used on the tour?
  4. What about altitude sickness?
  5. How Qualified are the guides?
  6. What do I need to take?

What’s a typical biking day like?

A typical day starts with an early morning brew served in your tent. After a hot breakfast, during which camp will be packed and the support vehicle or porter loaded, we start cycling in the pleasant cool of the morning. Lunch is usually taken at about 12 noon and takes about an hour or so. We aim to pitch camp for the night by 4 or up to 5 p.m., i.e. well before dusk. During the day you are free to cycle at your own pace, enjoying the scenery and stopping to take as many pictures as you wish.

On our Tea House Trekking days are similar to camping treks apart from your meals and sleeping accommodations are provided by lodges on route.

How fit do I need to be?

Biking in Himalaya, each and every trip is different, some are hard and technical, and some are easy. But it’s for sure all involve biking from 5 hrs to 7 hrs a day, the trails vary from wide dirt tracks, to steep rocky ups and down but we advice to take your time and ascend slowly. So generally you must be fit.

What sort of accommodations used on the tour?

Generally we have on offer two types of accommodations in our biking tours, camping or tea house. Tea houses are generally locally built with unique local design and are reasonably comfortable. Depending on region they provide single, double or dormitory room. Generally the toilet facilities will be outside but some place they might offer attached as well. Most tea houses provide a mattress and a quilt or blanket so it’s always advisable to take your own sleeping bags.

On our camping tours, we will use tented accommodations, our staffs will set all up for you sleeping tent, toilet tent, shower tent, kitchen tent and dinning tent, generally camping tours are with more personal services and we will take care everything by ourselves.

What about altitude sickness?

Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS), commonly known as altitude sickness, is an extremely serious, potentially fatal condition.  It can occur at altitudes above 2,000m, more usually above 3,500m.  There are simple and effective steps to control the risk of AMS.  All our guides are fully trained and experienced in dealing with AMS.
The main thing is to drink plenty of fluids, take your time, avoid straining yourself, keep an eye on each other and always enjoy the beauty, culture and friendly. And avoid drinking alcohol and too much of smoking.

How Qualified are the guides?

Our guides are loyal employees of the company, so you can trust on them fully. They are fully licensed to lead any mountain biking tours. We as a professional, every year manages various training to give updates to our guides like English Language, first aid, high altitude sickness, emergency handling or problem solving techniques etc. Our guides are not only guide; they are also professional Mountain Biking racers, advisers, officer on national mountain biking issues.

What do I need to take?

The weather in the Himalaya is unpredictable and it’s always advisable to fully gear up. See below for help list.

  • Cycling jersey (Half & long sleeves)
  • Cycling shorts (Half & long sleeves) Baggy shorts are great for visiting temples etc.
  • Cycling Shoes SPD or light weight running shoes)
  • Cycling gloves (Half & full fingers)
  • Wind breaker or stopper
  • Waterproof jacket & trousers (Breathable are great for biking)
  • Small day bag with bag cover for rain
  • Helmet & Headband
  • Sun glass with extra lens for different weather.
  • Cycling socks
  • Ear warmer for winter in Nepal & Tibet
  • Camelbak (good for riding in Nepal) or Water bottle for cycling
  • Specific tools (e.g. Disk brake, suspension, and wheel)
  • Extra specific disk brake pads & oils for disk brake with spare housing and pins.
  • Power bar & powder (Hard to get in Nepal, Tibet, India)
  • Leg & arm warmer (Good option for long sleeves)
  • General tools e.g. pump, multi tools
  • Extra tubes & Tyre for long tour.
  • Any special tools for your bike if require.

Other A ccessories: Personal toiletries, personal first aid kit, sun block, lip cream, shampoo, soap, shavers, moisturizer, passport copies, pocket knife, camera and film, towel, water bottle, music and books, flashlight/torch, repairing kits, water purifying tablets.

What is TIMS Card??

Changes in TIMS provision from April 1 

Changes in TIMS provision from April 1 Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal (TAAN) and Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to implement Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) in a new format from April 1.

As per the new provision, two separate TIMS Cards have been introduced for trekkers travelling in groups and those travelling independently (FITs). Trekkers travelling in groups and taking the service of agencies need to have Blue TIMS Card by paying US $10 per person, while the FITs need to have Green TIMS card by paying US $20 per person.

Trekkers can get Blue TIMS Cards from TAAN Secretariat in Maligaon, TAAN Pokhara Secretariat in Pokhara and government authorized trekking agencies across the country. Similarly, FITs can get Green TIMS Cards from the offices of NTB in Kathmandu and Pokhara, TAAN Secretariat in Maligaon and TAAN Pokhara Secretariat.

The introduction of new TIMS cards will automatically annul the old TIMS cards and trekkers carrying old TIMS cards can be returned from checkpoints.